Transparent GIF Files With GIMP
Transparent GIF (Graphics Interchange Format) files are similar to
other GIF files but have the property that one color is "transparent"
meaning that the background color will show through. This is useful
when you wish to create round or irregularly shaped "buttons" on a web
page. The image displayed on the web page is actually rectangular, but
having a transparent background only the round portion of the image is
seen. The background of the web page is seen where the transparent
color of the GIF file appears. A GIF file uses an 8 bit color
table, providing a pallet of 256 colors. Any 8 bit value can be
selected as a transparent color.
A very good use of transparent GIF files is for the display of e-mail
addresses. Displaying e-mail in an image prevents automated tools to
examine web pages and "harvest" emails in order to send spam. Here is
an example of a table with two gif files inserted. One file was created
having a transparent background and the other does not.
Stepts to create the
signature as a GIF file with transparent background:
- Select "File -> New". Create a reasonably good size
window, say 400 by 400 pixels. The size doesn't mater as long as it is
large enough for the string created.
- Put cursor somewhere in the new window. Don't "click" in the
window, just move cursor in it.
- Use "CTRL-L" to bring up the layers window.
- Click the plus sign in the lower left corner of the layers window
to create a new layer. Make sure "transparency" is checked in the
"create new layer" window.
- In the "layers" window click the "background" layer and drag it
to the trash can in the lower right corner. This should leave you wiht
only the new (transparent) layer.
- In the window you first created click Tools -> Text.
- Click in the window and a text creation box should appear. Enter
the desired e-mail address and click "Close".
- Select "Image -> Autocrop".
- Select "File -> Save As".
- Enter desired name with the ".gif" extension.
- Check "Merge visible layers".
- Check "Convert to indexed".
- Click "Export" and "OK".